Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Why Ranch?

I have a problem. Since becoming more culinarily aware I've noticed people doing something peculiar--pouring ranch on things, everything. Pizza, fries, burgers, salads, chips, potatoes--you name it and people are pouring, dunking and indulging on the creamy white stuff. It's like a disease.
Why are people doing this? Drowning their perfectly tasty food in one ingredient. I'm not really sure. If something doesn't taste good don't eat it...period. Don't disguise the flavor of something bland or disgusting with another ingredient. Not only do I find it gross, but you're adding hundreds of empty calories on top of food that probably isn't very good for you in the first place.
Find something better for you and more flavorful to amp up the flavor in your foods. Try whole grain spicy mustard or olive tapanade. Try chili infused olive oil, garlic aoli or olive oil with parmesan, salt and pepper. There are thousands of flavors out there, there's no need to resort to ranch dressing, really.
The next time you're tempted to coat your food in ranch think about it for a second. I bet you'll think of something better to put on your food--or if nothing else something better for you.

1 comment:

  1. I've never understood that. Ranch with pizza grosses me out more than anything. I'll fight the ranch war with you anytime!

    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete